It must be the post-Thanksgiving blahs that are clogging my brain because I keep going back and forth on what to write about this time around. Should it be the inside scoop on the partial birth abortion issue? Should I talk about sex selection abortions, the Army of God, a new form of birth control? So many things to discuss, back and forth, back and forth. I just keep flip-flopping around….
And speaking of Herman Cain!
How about the Caininator, huh? Mr. 9 – 9 – 9 (which actually sounds like something Adolph Hitler might have said when his generals suggested Germany surrender). Mr. Godfather’s Pizza, a possible sexual predator, the guy who couldn’t remember where Libya is. And now the abortion issue has bit him in the butt.
In an interview a few weeks ago, Mr. Cain actually said that abortion should be a decision left up to the individual, not the government: “So what I’m saying is, it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make. Not me as president. Not some politician. Not a bureaucrat. It gets down to that family. And whatever they decide, they decide.”
Welcome to our side, Herman! Ah, but then the proverbial poop hit the fan and within a day he was “clarifying” his stance on “Face the Nation” where he said that he is “pro-life from conception, period.” He then added that “My answer was focused on the role of the president. The president has no constitutional authority to order any such action by anyone.” Well, that certainly clarified things! He went on to remind the extremists in the Republican Party that he once said that Planned Parenthood was engaged in “planned genocide” and that their mission was to “help kill black babies before they came into the world.” Then, to demonstrate that he really hated Planned Parenthood he said that he would “oppose government funding of abortion. I will veto any legislation that contains funds for Planned Parenthood.” As if that were not enough, he ended the frenetic week by telling Fox News that abortion should not be legal, but the “family can make the decision to break the law.”
Phew! Is everything clear now?
I think deep down ole Herman is actually pro-choice but he and his staff were just too stupid to do some research or else they would have discovered that you have got to be absolutely, 100 percent pro-life to get the Republican nomination for president. And if that means doing a total switch, like Mitt Romney has, that’s what you got to do. Heck, remember George Bush the First? When he was in Congress he was practically in bed with Planned Parenthood, leading the fight to provide them with family planning funds. Then he decided to reach for the Taco Grande and suddenly he became Mr. Pro-Life. And these switches worked the other way as well. For years, Jesse Jackson was pro-life until he decided to seek the Democratic nomination for President, then bingo, he’s pro-choice! It’s all part of the game.
Herman stepped into it because he is like the other 99.9% of the politicians in this country who do not want to talk about abortion. That’s because they, like the American public, are a little confused, they know it’s not always black and white, it’s not always right or wrong. But those seeking higher office need to cater to the purists in each party because they are the ones who run the nomination process. So, when the question comes up you can just see them start to squirm, they get red in the face and they spurt out a real quick answer to assuage their extremists.
It’s a sticky wicket, one that Mr. Cain got caught up in. But I personally think it is too late for him. He planted seeds of doubt within the pro-life community and now they do not trust him. And that’s a big deal in the state of Iowa.
- Herman Cain Clarifies Abortion Stance, Stands By Planned Parenthood ‘Genocide’ Comments (huffingtonpost.com)
- Herman Cain Says No More Abortions Then Attacks Planned Parenthood (inquisitr.com)
- Romney and Gingrich Are Pro-What? And Who Is On RightOn’s Short List? (rightonlife.org)
- Herman Cain Pledges To Push Defunding Of Planned Parenthood (huffingtonpost.com)
- Cain: I’m “pro-life from conception, period” (cbsnews.com)
- Cain: I’m “pro-life from conception, period” – CBS News (news.google.com)
- LifeNews.com Pro-Life News Report 11/22/11 (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- Planned Parenthood: Herman Cain Has No Idea What He’s Talking About [Video] (jezebel.com)
- National Black Pro-Life Union Raises Cain (deaconforlife.blogspot.com)
- Herman Cain Is Totally Pro-Life, Pro-Whatever Else Republican Voters Want [Politics] (jezebel.com)
- Cain signs anti-abortion pledge (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- National Black Pro-Life Union Raises Cain (deaconjohnspace.wordpress.com)
- Well This is Unsurprising: Cain Signs Anti-Abortion Pledge (slog.thestranger.com)
- Herman Steps in It (abortion.ws)
- Planned Parenthood Responds To Herman Cain’s Criticism: Cain Is ‘Clearly Out Of The Mainstream In His Attack’ (mediaite.com)
- Planned Parenthood responds to Cain’s repeat criticism of the biz as racist (hotair.com)
- Cain Smears Planned Parenthood: Accuses Group of ‘Genocide,’ Says Its Goal Is To ‘Kill Black Babies’ (thinkprogress.org)